Document accessibility refers to the inclusive practice of making document contents usable by people of all abilities and disabilities. When document files are correctly developed and edited, all users can have equal access to information. The accessibility of documents is strictly linked to the larger item of web accessibility (addressed in a dedicated section of the hub) for which significant progress has been made to improve the accessibility of content. The accessibility of many electronic formats, such as Microsoft Word documents and PDFs, however still lags behind and is often added as an afterthought, if at all. Standards and Techniques have been developed to improve document accessibility.
Find out more about Accessible Documents by topics:
- The case for Document Accessibility: Why is Document Accessibility important
- What is document Accessibility: This page provides a clarification as to what is meant by document accessibility
- Document Accessibility Difficulties and barriers: This page deals with aspect of a document that can lead to difficulties to access it (font size, unintuitive design, digital divide, …)
- Legislation on Documents accessibility: This page provides some information as to the legal requirements related to accessible documents
- Standards and Guidelines for Accessible Documents: this page presents information and the standards and guidelines that have been produced to ensure broader accessibility of digital documents.
- Existing Accessible (e-book) formats: this page provides an overview of existing accessible formats
- Existing tools and techniques to Produce Accessible Documents:this page provides information on existing tools and techniques to produce accessible documents
- Information on how and where to find accessible documents and books
- European Trusted Intermediaries Network (ETIN): is a Network of intermediaries facilitating the circulation of accessible documents across European countries.
- Information on Reading accessible documents and books: introduces the mainstream and specific devices, software and hardware that are used to documents produced in an accessible format
- Document Accessibility Research Projects: This page looks at existing research projects dealing with accessible documents
- Document Accessibility Best Practices: This page provide some concrete example of initiative to promote document accessibility
- Business case and the market for Accessible Documents: this page discusses the question of business models and market implication of producing and distributing accessible documents
- Document Accessibility stakeholders: this page provides an overview of the different stakeholders involved in the document accessibility value chain